Tuesday 6 September 2005

My passion

Its not everyday that I actually spill out my secret desire of playing DOTA all the time but until recently when I just read this post on another blog, man, it really made my day haha.

In case you are rather lazy to click on the link, I'll just post the entire post here.

Friday, August 26, 2005
NOOBS! I AM MORE PRO THAN YUO!11

Sometimes, I don't understand what is the big deal about 'not wanting to lose'. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a good idea to have a 'wanting to lose' attitude, and I'm not saying that winning is a bad thing either. But what's the big deal with 'winning' over something.

Just what is there to proove?

Recently, I observed an in-game argument between two Singaporeans in a pubbie. They were both on the same team (the enemy team in fact) and apparently, one of them was getting pissed at the other guy because he kept feeding. Of course, this depends on how you view it. My team, which apparently composed of some pretty decent players, had been executing some well set up good gang bangs sessions. To his team, he's probably feeding because he keeps dying to the opposite side, whereas on our end, he HAD to die no matter what. This can be very obvious, because it's not everyday 5 heroes corner you down at your tower, tear you to pieces before your teammates can even react.

We were targeting this particular player because he was using a Naix, and we all shared the same opinion that a fat Naix, is a fat chance of us winning. And so, we continuously struck at him during the early game phase, resulting in him getting 10 deaths before anyone even hit level 11. Note that this is a very bad idea when facing a well-managed team because leaving your lanes to take out opponent heroes can be more harmful to your game than it would help you. Fortunately, the other team (although decent players themselves) failed to capitalize on our weakness and instead blamed the poor Naix player for this.

I think the comedy started around the 8th time we had just gang banged the Naix. Our poison commandos (PA and Venom) had just stung Naix to a point where his Crystal Maiden teammate was yelling "B LA YOU NOOB" on the public channel because the Naix was still hanging around with less than 100 health. Everyone was so focussed on the Naix that the other team's Zeus failed to realize my Bounty Hunter had disappeared from his lane and was waiting by the 2nd tower for Naix to turn around. He appeared on queue and I took him out with just a hit. To add fuel, the game announcer promptly screamed out M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL and that's when one of them (the Sven) started cussing on the public channel.

Sven: ****ING SH** OUR NAIX IS A FEEDER

Venom: good! keep it up!

Sven: **CK YOU A**HOLE! U SEE IF HE IS ON YOUR TEAM U LIKE OR NOT

Me: *To Team* ehh guys, don provoke them.. it's not even midgame. I wanna get at least my sheep stick before they quit.

Venom: *To Team*Kih kih kih. But they are such noobs

Me: *To Team* noobs or not... we don't want to jeopardize the game

It was a good thing though, that my opponents had been farming relatively well, (since most of us were off our lanes most of the time) and I didn't think Sven would want to quit since he's already got his Mask Of Madness and was halfway to getting a Black King Bar.

Up till then, the Naix had been keeping quiet (or perhaps keeping to Teamchat) until the Sven, being overly confident with his Mask Of Madness and God Strength decided to push his luck and chase after my team's Tinker who had been down to half his health, not realizing that a sneaky Bounty Hunter was closing up on him from behind. As he let loose his Storm Bolt, thinking that he had secured the kill, our Tinker let loose his rocket at the same time as I popped up from behind, giving him a good taste of digitally rendered steel.

There was a moments silence, here I can only fathom whatever went on in the other team's chat, when all of a sudden a flurry of messages started streaming down the bottom left side of my screen which went something like this:

Sven: AHAHAHAHA NOOB

Sven: OH YEAH?

Sven: NOT LIKE YOU NOOB FEEDER

At this point, Naix too began expressing his love on the channel.

Naix: f*** you think you are so great but still die like some noob yourself

Naix: who thinks Sven is a noob, move your mouse.

Sven: WHO THINKS THIS NOOB NAIX IS A RETARD HOLD YOUR POSITION

Sven: EVEN MY MOTHER CAN PLAY BETTER THAN YOU NOOB

Naix: your mother plays dota? no wonder he kid is such a geek

Sven: WTF NOOB DONT BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS

Me: *To Team* Actually.. he brought his mother into this first...-_-"

Naix: f*** you la. i can play a better sven than you anytime

Sven: NOOB COME 1V1 LA IF U THINK U ARE SO PRO

Naix: come la, you think i scared?

Sven: OK NOOB BRING IT ON HAHAHAHAHAHA

Naix: ***ker STOP CALLING ME NOOB, NOOB!

Ah, the joys of being young, and stupid. Then things began to get ugly.

Sven: OK GAMEANEM IS NAIXTHENOOB COME IN 5 MINUTES

Sven: PREPARE TO GET PAWNED NOOB. I AM MORE PRO THAN YOU

Me: *WTF!* what the hell! where do you think you're going!

********* has left the game.

Everyone: !!!@?!?!?11!oneone1!!?slashoneone?!!???111

Ok, so what's the point, guys? I know there's alot at stake in a game of DOTA, even if it IS just a game, but what I can never really understand is why of all things would someone want to play 1on1 against each other. What's there to proove?

Let's do abit of a study on this. I've joined 1v1 games myself out of purely academic purposes, and what I discovered is that I'm only allowed to play on one lane, usually just the middle one. If that's the case, we can rule out strategic decision making and tactical macro-management since you're only pushing on one lane, which will always be occupied.

Most hero spells in DOTA (or at least the popular heroes) are primarily target based so this means we're not really testing out each other's ability to aim and target well as is the case of FPS games like Quake or Unreal. (With the exception of perhaps the Keeper of the Light or Sand King of course, but meh, who really uses Keeper of the Light in 1v1s anyway? I know there'll be someone out there who'll proove me wrong but STFU dude, I'm just trying to make a point!) I can't say DOTA doesn't require micro skills, but it's certainly not as micro intensive as a normal melee game, (Again with the exception of heroes like the KOTL, but talk to the Hand..|.. if you have a problem with what I write-_-") so I don't think it's about matching micro abilities either.

So just, what are you trying to proove? FFS, DOTA is a team game. I've stressed this so many times in the DOTA forum that it's not even funny anymore whenever I see someone getting a hero like say... Phantom Assassin, and telling the rest of the team, don't worry, we'll win because I have the PA. Five deaths later, that Phantom Assassin players leaves the game.

But you should already know that, don't you? This is after all DOTASG, and it's catered to all you pro-gamer wannabes. Well, at least I hope you do. It's better to flush that "I'm more pro than you because I can win you in 1v1 dota!" mentality out of your systems.

So anyway, to conclude the story:

*Game continues for another 15 minutes*

Me: *Eh.. strange..* Uh.. Naix, you're still here?

Naix: why? you want me to leave isit?

Me: *ACK!* Oh nonononoono, stay. by all means. please:):):)

Naix: that Sven is still pestering me to join his game

Naix: as if i'm that dumb. i just wanted his items.

Naix: i told him i go toilet for a moment first. wonder how long he's going to wait there.

Me: AHAHAHAH! OMG ROFTLOL! PAWNED!

Naix: indeed.

And thus, Naix did indeed take the Sven's MOM and BKB, and proceeded to pwn my team regardless of how well we did at the start of the game. 5 on 1 all die.

The moral of this story?

KNNMCB... Naix is bloody imbalanced. Dammit they should do something about Naix


- source, DOTA SINGAPORE

Now doesn't that tell us something about our friendly neighbours down south. But in true honesty, I really suspect that Sven player is a Malaysian. Mind you, I get that same kind of stuff everytime playing on our local BlueServer. Well you can't really blame it on us, some of the players are just kids or teens who want to vent all of their anger out.

As for me, work has been piling up like crazy and I am definitely lacking in sleep, I think. Anyhow a good cup of nescafe keeps me up throughout the day and my daily two meetings so its not really a problem. Right now my desk at work seems rather clean, well sort of. Only reason why it looks neat is that my lightbox is with the production group together with my trusty 14" hi-resolution monitor. My soldering irons lie on one end of the table while notes and paperwork continue to pile on my in-tray. Noticed that I never did mention an out tray haha. My two 80mm fans brought from home humms through the noisy office, yeah I am using it because it gets rather hot sometimes. All I need to do is hook them up to my DC Regulator supply and voila, instant cool breeze.

0 Comments: