Tuesday 5 July 2005

Oh my, oh my news..

I read a bit of news at TheStar about this website called Ohmynews from Korea (you would need your web browser to support Korean language to fully see it). Apparently this news website features a new approach to journalism whereby the public becomes to provider of news. Anyone can submit news and stories and the three top best news stories get USD$20. So far they have about 38,000 news contributers. But this is coming from a website who gets about USD$400,000 annually from advertisements. Multiply 365 with 20 you get only $7300 given out to the news writers. Honestly the business of this website is mind boggling to me. Now why couldn’t I have thought of that? Maybe Malaysians should have something like this as well, a more public approach to what has been going on rather than just listen to what is filtered through the various ranks. Who knows, someone might just start it but there are plenty of doubts in terms of our right to free speech? Maybe someone needs to fully clarify and give our Malaysian meaning for “free speech”.

Last night I managed to drop by in to Lowyat plaza to pick up my wi-fi card from Sri Computers. I had sent it there in April thinking that it was broken but after arriving back at Chuen’s place and trying it on my laptop, I found out that my laptop seem to be the one that is slightly broken. Well the PCMCIA slots are damaged and the wi-fi card can seem to draw any power from the laptop. Now I am at a dilemma whether I should repair the laptop, which I know will cost me a bundle, or just leave it be. Maybe I should just reformat it first and then see whether it was a software conflict between the card and my laptop.

Last night I managed to drop by in to Lowyat plaza to pick up my wi-fi card from Sri Computers. I had sent it there in April thinking that it was broken but after arriving back at Chuen’s place and trying it on my laptop, I found out that my laptop seem to be the one that is slightly broken. Well the PCMCIA slots are damaged and the wi-fi card can seem to draw any power from the laptop. Now I am at a dilemma whether I should repair the laptop, which I know will cost me a bundle, or just leave it be. Maybe I should just reformat it first and then see whether it was a software conflict between the card and my laptop.

Argh, I ran out of coffee here at my workplace. I need to get a refill! How can I start my day without my normal cup of Nescafe! Traffic this morning was rather slow, the SmartTag lane was closed at the Subang exit and there was a minor accident involving two cars right in front of the SmartTag lane. Honestly I didn’t even see the problem, it was just a little nudge, so much for making mountains out of molehills. By the time I reached near my company, a friendly policeman decided to stop the flow of traffic and allow other people to make illegal U-turns. Talk about the irony. Another 5 minutes wasted.

My latest assignment, organize a bowling tournament for the company. Now to head over to those shopping complexes and get a quotation and booking as well.

Also if you have the time, check out this site. Great read and great laughs!

0 Comments: